How to make a reed diffuser

There was a lot of interest in my scented room spray last week, so I thought I’d share with you another one of the natural scented products I make for my home.

I know you’ve all seen reed diffusers around. . .

but have you ever made your own?

Shabby Art Boutique - reed diffuser 2

Here’s something I’ve learnt about reed diffusers. . . they are not all the same!

I’ve been making my own for awhile now and have found that my version lasts a lot longer than those I purchased pre-made.

I also like that I can make up my own scents using a variety of essential oils.

Shabby Art Boutique - reed diffuser 4

You will need:

A bottle to hold your scent (see tip),

Reeds – I use the proper reeds as opposed to using bamboo skewers,

1/4 cup Sweet Almond Oil,

2 – 3 tablespoons Vodka,

Approximately 12 drops of essential oils, this will depend on which oils you use.

 

Tip: The smaller the neck on the bottle, the slower the liquid will evaporate.

 

Shabby Art Boutique - room diffuser 1

How to make the scented oil

1. In a small jug, mix the vodka into the Sweet Almond Oil base. The vodka is used as an emulsifier and thins the the oil to the right consistency for the reeds to absorb it.

2. Add your choice of essential oils – approximately 12 drops which is a ratio of 75% base to 25% essential oil.

3. Transfer the scented oil to a pretty vase or bottle and insert your reeds. I flip my reeds over every day to keep dispersing the scent.

 

Shabby Art Boutique - reed diffuser 5

I love to use candles around my home, but sometimes this is not possible for safety reasons. Living by the beach we get afternoon sea breezes and I always fear a miss-placed or forgotten candle might ignite a fire.

Having the scented reed diffusers insures that there is always a fresh but light floral scent wafting through the house. I particularly like them for the bathrooms and toilet window ledges. Plus, when placed with a few other pretty decor pieces they can make for a lovely vignette.

 

Shabby Art Boutique Scented Room Spray 3

You may also be interested in how I made my scented room spray last week.

I’m sharing my homemade reed diffuser at this week’s link parties and with these friends: French Country Cottage, Blissful Whites Wednesday, The Vintage Farmhouse, 36th Avenue, Clean and Scentsible, Live Laugh Rowe, The DIY Dreamer, Tutorials, Tips & Tidbits – Stone Gable Transformation Thursday, At The Picket Fence, Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground, Nifty Thrifty Sunday.